Monday, November 26, 2007

Turkey, Turkey, Turkey!!!

I took a long turkey weekend blog break.... In case you were getting used to my regular posting, I felt the need to explain my absence. I made my 1st turkey ever and it turned out wonderful, if I do say so myself. I ended up brining the turkey...Robin told me she was doing it and I had heard about it from The Pioneer Woman. She (P-Dub) did a whole Thanksgiving series on her cooking blog, but I didn't really pay attention until the day before Thanksgiving. Anyway, brining rocks! The turkey was so juicy and my in-laws were amazed. I also had to do the mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest was being brought by the guests. I really hate doing it that way, and I refuse to do it that way for our Christmas Eve dinner. I allowed it this time because I had never done Thanksgiving and it was kind of a last minute thing so I freaked out. The reasons I avoid the "bring a dish" with my in-laws is because everyone is late and the last time we did it my MIL showed up with Au Gratin potatoes, that she thought weren't safe to eat for some reason, and a bag of potatoes and told me to hurry up and make mashed potatoes. Potatoes seem to be a reoccurring issue with this family. I have other potato stories, but I won't get into them today…just the most recent one. So I was responsible for the potatoes and I like to do a mashed potato casserole type dish where I boil them, mash them and mix in a lot of sour cream, shredded cheese, some spices, butter, and milk, then I put them in a casserole dish and put it in the fridge overnight and bake it the day of the dinner. So I had used 10 lbs. of potatoes for this and had a huge pan of this stuff ready to go for our dinner. My MIL had called that morning for some reason and my husband must've mentioned the 10 lbs. of potatoes for some reason...Well she shows up late with her stuff she was supposed to bring, plus a pan of mashed potatoes. I just about lost it. I asked my SIL what this was about and that it was an insult that she doesn't think I can handle the mashed potatoes. My SIL explains that she got a call while she was at the Thanksgiving Day Parade in downtown Detroit from her mother freaking out that we wouldn't have enough potatoes. She made her go pick up more potatoes. ARGH! In the end I had more than enough potatoes with my pan and I made her take home her untouched pan of potatoes. Maybe that will teach her a lesson, but I doubt it.

So enough about potatoes… I did get a little shopping done and a little stamping. In case you were wondering I did go back and add stickles to the big flower in the Fabulous Flower card and I also went back and sponged the background on that True Friend card I posted last. I'm sure you were all loosing sleep about that.

I'm trying to carefully pick cards to show that I haven't sent to my Secret Sister. I once figured out my SS by seeing a card she had sent to me on her blog. So now I am extra careful.

I think this one is safe...
This card uses the Double Line Doodles stamp set from SU! The colors are Pixie Pink, Almost Amethyst, Basic Black, and Whisper White. I used my Marvy scalloped square punch and some ribbon from one of the retired Ribbon Originals sets.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Great stories...I appreciate you doing some Christmas shopping for me too this year!